Benefits of Shopping Online With Virtual Cards
From enhanced security to ease of use, virtual cards offer a number of advantages for frequent online shoppers
There’s a good chance you’ve been spending more time shopping online from the comfort of your home recently. While there are many benefits of purchasing everything from housewares to groceries online, it’s important to consider more secure ways to pay. Not all online checkout options offer the same level of protection. That’s why choosing to use a virtual card from Capital One when you check out online is a smart decision.
Did you know you can use virtual cards with most Capital One credit cards? Virtual cards provide you with added benefits that allow you to shop more easily and more securely online.
What Is a Virtual Card?
A virtual card acts like a stand-in for your actual credit card and lets you pay anywhere you shop online. Like a conventional credit card, a virtual card has its own 16-digit card number, expiration date and CVC security number. Every virtual card is linked to your actual credit card account, and all charges will show up on your credit card account statements as they normally would.
How Virtual Cards Make Online Shopping a Breeze
There are several reasons why you’d want to use a virtual card from Capital One as your preferred payment method. Here’s a look at three ways using virtual cards makes spending online easier and more secure.
Virtual cards let you make purchases online without sharing your actual credit card number with merchants.
It’s nice to be able to make a purchase at any time—even when you don’t have your wallet with you. With the Capital One Mobile app, you can access your virtual cards anytime, anywhere. In some cases, you can have your virtual card numbers automatically filled in at checkout. Plus, your virtual cards will continue to work even if you need to replace your physical card and your actual card number changes. Put a virtual card on file for all your subscriptions or recurring charges, and you won’t have to deal with the hassle of updating your payment info if your actual card number changes—now that’s convenient!
For added control over your online shopping experience, you can lock or unlock your virtual cards at any time without affecting your other spending.
Smart Ways to Use a Virtual Card
You may be surprised by the many ways you can use virtual cards. Here are a few examples:
- Streaming services such as Twitch, Netflix, Hulu, Disney+ and more.
- Meal delivery subscriptions such as Uber Eats, HelloFresh and Blue Apron.
- Personal care deliveries such as cosmetic or hair care subscriptions.
- On file at places you shop at the most such as Amazon, Etsy, Walmart and Target.
- Unfamiliar or infrequently visited sites—to disguise your actual card number.
Types of Virtual Cards From Capital One
Right now, Capital One offers two types of virtual cards to customers.
- A virtual card for universal use
- Virtual cards for specific stores
Virtual Card for Universal Use
A virtual card for universal use can be used over and over anywhere you shop or pay online. This virtual card stands in for your actual credit card number and is available 24/7 from the Capital One Mobile app or online after you sign in to your Capital One account.
If you regularly shop online or have recurring charges or subscriptions, a virtual card for universal use has many advantages:
- Instant access: As a new credit card customer, you may be able to start spending and earning rewards as soon as you’re approved, without having to wait for your physical card to arrive in the mail.
- Lost/stolen replacement card: In the event your physical credit card is lost or stolen, your virtual card will continue to work.
- Easy checkout: Save your virtual card to your favorite online stores so you can check out without your physical card.
To access your virtual card for universal use, follow these steps:
- Log in to the Capital One Mobile app or sign in to your Capital One account online.
- Select the credit card account you want to use.
- Click on “Get a Number” below your recent transactions.
- After completing the security prompt, you’ll be able to see your virtual card number, expiration date and three-digit security code—everything you’ll need for checkout.
Virtual Cards for Specific Stores
Virtual cards for specific stores offer a more secure way to shop at your favorite online destinations. You can have your virtual card numbers automatically filled in at checkout, giving you the ability to pay with fewer clicks. Virtual cards for specific stores are available through the Eno browser extension and Google Chrome and Android apps using Google Pay, providing ease of use on different devices. Through an exciting collaboration with Google, Capital One cardholders can seamlessly save and access a new virtual card quickly and easily via autofill anytime they’re checking out online.
Up your security game and enjoy these benefits when you use a virtual card for a specific store.
- Added security: Each store gets a unique virtual card number that links back to your Capital One credit card account, adding another layer of security.
- Faster transactions: Check out online from anywhere, even when you don’t have your wallet or physical card. Plus, the Eno browser extension and Google Chrome and Android apps using Google Pay can automatically enter a store-specific virtual card number into the payment fields.
- Set it and forget it: The virtual cards you create will keep working even if you get a new physical credit card, so you won’t need to manually update your card information on the sites where you’ve stored one.
- Better management: You can lock, unlock or delete a virtual card at any time for added control over your shopping experience, all without affecting your other spending.
To use a virtual card for a specific store, follow these steps:
Right now, you can use a virtual card for a specific store on Google Chrome and Android apps using Google Pay and with the Eno browser extension on your laptop or desktop.
- On Google Chrome and Android apps:
- Add your card to Google Pay.
- Shop online using your Google Chrome browser or in Android apps.*
- When you’re ready to check out, select the option to pay with a virtual card from the autofill dropdown menu. It’s that easy!
- With the Eno browser extension:
- Add Eno to your browser.
- Once installed, sign in to the Eno browser extension and enroll with a Capital One credit card to get started.
- Once you’re signed in, Eno pops up when you’re on a checkout page and generates a virtual card for a specific store that is linked to your credit card account.
- Eno saves your virtual cards for future payments, and all charges will show up on your credit card account statements as they normally would.
Becoming a Capital One Customer
With virtual cards, feel safer shopping online without exposing your actual credit card number– all with added convenience and flexibility. If you don’t have a Capital One credit card, see which one might be right for you.
Capital One, N.A.